Want to work closer with schools? Here are some top tips from Howard Auckland, Deputy Headteacher at Albrighton School:
1) Find the “face” of your museum, a passionate advocate who can sell your work.
2) Refine your sales pitch and consider how your collections could be used to explore different, cross-curricular themes.
3) Liaise with teachers to ensure that your activities are meeting their needs.
4) Develop learning programmes that offer partnerships with schools.
5) Consider the potential of quality assurance schemes and badges.
6) Delegate delivery where possible by becoming a “community link”. Work with local delivery agencies i.e.the Childrens University http://www.childrensuniversity.co.uk/about-us/
7) Consider working with external groups to forge connections with secondary schools. These could include Business Education Partnerships.
These wonderful tips have come from the excellent Staffordshire Museums Network Newsletter, www.staffordshire.gov.uk/museums